14 Galapagos Park Rules – Infographic Guide
Galapagos history & how to visit the islands sustainably
A visit to the Galapagos is in sight? looking to prepare for your upcoming trip?🤔 chances are you’re the researching type🤓, you’ve come to the right place!Here’s the deal:
I think we can all agree everyone has rules/
By the time you are done reading this post, these will not look like rules, but rather your support for the islands and its conservation efforts.
Without going into the wee details, here’s some Galapagos history & how following these simple rules can help the park’s conservation efforts.
The Galapagos National Park Origins
The National Park was founded back in 1959 and became Ecuador’s first national park.
Local authorities claimed 97% of Galapagos territory. The remaining 3% belongs to inhabited areas and locals throughout main islands in Santa Cruz, San Cristobal, Baltra, Floreana & Isabela. 🏝
Two decades later the park was declared a UNESCO world heritage site. 🌎
The Galapagos national park became the governing authority to guard the islands & enforce park conservation efforts and guidelines.
The Galapagos park had humble beginnings, management operation begin with 6 park rangers and 2 officers👥 in the island of Santa Cruz.
Over the course of 8 years, management grew adding conservation officers, commissioners, park rangers and management objectives in order to comply with organic structure policies.
Galapagos Marine Reserve
1986 introduces the Galapagos marine reserve to further expand the park’s conservation efforts.
That very same year the park is included in the biosphere reserve.
Darwin’s evolution, a unique scientific value and its educational worth merits its inclusion to be preserved for posterity.
Surrounding waters represent one of the world’s most unusual ecosystems and are rich areas of biodiversity
Heritage Site in DangerBut here’s the kicker:
Its increasingly popularity, and the fast development of human interaction within park grounds (immigration-tourism-trade), led UNESCO to add the park to its list of World Heritage Sites in Danger in 2007.
The islands fragile ecosystem evolved in complete natural isolation over million of years. Humans posed a threat with an increasing likelihood of introducing invasive species and foreign vegetation to the islands. Introduced goats to the islands by whalers, merchants and pirates posed a huge threat to endemic fauna. 🐢
Project Isabella in 8 years eradicated over 250,000 introduced goats in the islands
The Galapagos Park Today
There has been significant progress with ongoing conservation efforts in the park, Galapagos cruises adhere to many regulations enforced by the park.
Many invasive species have been completely eradicated, and reproduction centers have brought back species on the brink of extinction.
So now that we have the basics of Galapagos history out of the way, we can all agree the Galapagos park has been through a lot!
Huge progress has been made, but its an ongoing effort that will ensure the islands longevity for generations to come 🙂
You might be wondering, what can i do to help??
We thought you’d never ask! 🙂 if you want to get involved galapagosconservation.org is a great place to get started, from different membership tiers, donations, to an online shop, there is plenty of ways you can help.
Finally if you are soon to visit the Galapagos islands, the following infographic will show you easy guidelines to travel responsibly.